Thursday 23 June 2016

The do's & don'ts of matte lip products





Matte lip products in all their popularity and surrounding controversy begs the question; do I wear it? How do I wear it? What shade do I get? These questions present an endless list of uncertainties but fear not, keep reading and ill provide you with a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to these products. Best grab a pend and paper!

DO – Match your lip liner
This applies mainly to those who are opting for a bright, bold colour. Applying a lip liner prior to your matte lipstick is a good idea since this will prevent your lip colour from ‘bleeding’ (where your lipstick escapes the natural line of your lips). It’s also perhaps an even better idea to get a lip liner that matches the colour of your lipstick as best as possible, to avoid the dreaded 90’s inspired two toned look.

DON’T - Over apply it
Since matte lip products are not very moisturising (if at all), it kind of just sits and doesn’t really fade away as fast as what other lip products do. I know it’s tempting to keep reapplying your product in the hopes that it will bring some moisture to your lips but don’t, sit on those hands. Re-applying will just cause the product to pile up on top of your lips and the chance of it being even is pretty slim. If you really want to re-apply, first remove the remaining product on your lips with a wipe before applying a fresh coat.

DO – Keep your lips moisturised
This is probably my biggest fault when it comes to using matte lip products, I cannot stand when my lips aren’t moisturised so I make a point in applying lip ice before I apply my lip colour. This will avoid dehydration, flaking and will keep you lip colour looking fresh as can be. #Yay!

DO – Exfoliate
This goes hand in hand with keeping your lips moisturised, exfoliating will get rid of any dry flakiness and will help with a good application of you lip product. I like to use a ‘sugar lip scrub’ from “Beauty Treats”. I usually purchase this product at Dis-chem, it often comes in a variety of flavours and is very affordable.

DO – Pick the right shade
This is the most important, choosing a colour which is too light for your skin tone could make you look corpse like while choosing a colour too dark for your skin tone may stain your lips and wear badly. Opting for corals, reds and pinks is pretty much your safe zone. If that’s not your thing, then I say wear what feels right to you.

At the end of the day experimentation is always your best bet, I’d do it with lip products that are a little bit more on the affordable side before spending your hard earned cash on something expensive that you just might not like. Find out what works best for you and rock it! Happy shopping ;)

S
Xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment